Fact: Many people who read fashion blogs are fashion bloggers themselves, so I know this next paragraph will most likely pertain to 98% of everyone reading this. Have you ever thought about taking the gorgeous photos from your blog and compiling them into a book that you can pull out 20 years from now and say, Oh, man, did I dress well. Or maybe you want to make a book to sell; perhaps something along the lines of How to Dress Well (written by A Well-Dressed Blogger). Whatever your level of vanity, there is a Blurb book just waiting for you to publish it. And the friendly Blurbians (that's people who work at Blurb, if you didn't know) have put together this helpful little list of tips for a perfect fashion photo shoot.
1. It’s all about lighting. To make your fashion really pop, choose natural light or studio light with a soft box (you can even make one from a lamp and last season’s white t-shirt). If you’re using a flash, you’ll probably want to bounce it or stick a diffusion filter on it.
2. Make a shot list. This is a critical step, and even more important if you are photographing models. Even if your model is just your best friend who owes you a favor, they’ll appreciate it if you know exactly what you want to shoot. Think about the poses you want to capture, the outfits you want them to wear, and the details that you want to highlight in every shot.
4. Choose the right lens/zoom setting. If you’re using a wide angle, you’re going to lose your beautiful lines. If you have a camera with different zoom levels, zoom out to minimize lens barrel distortion.
5. Keep it stylish. It’s a fashion shoot, after all. Play music, keep things moving, try new angles. Attitude, attitude, attitude.
6. Dress it up. Make your book as fashionable as the clothing featured in it. Choose a simple design that doesn’t upstage the clothing, but still looks chic. Pick a size and paper type that showcases the work brilliantly.
Start your Blurb book now and Save 25% on print book orders of $75+ at Blurb.